If you’re eager to get pregnant and are wondering if it’s time to see a fertility specialist, you might be right. There are a number of factors to take into account when deciding whether it’s time to see a fertility specialist.
1. If you’re over 35 and have been trying for at least 6 months to get pregnant, it’s time to see a fertility specialist. This is because as a woman ages it becomes understandably more difficult for her to conceive.
2. If you’re over 37 and trying to get pregnant, you should consider seeing a fertility specialist and not wait before seeking professional advice. Just because you seek professional advice doesn’t mean you are signing yourself up for fertility medications. Seeking advice will give you the knowledge about your body that you may not already have.
3. If you have irregular cycles, you shouldn’t wait before seeing a fertility specialist. Irregular cycles could be a sign of an ovulatory disorder called polycystic ovary syndrome, hypothalamic amenorrhea or decreased ovarian reserve. The good news is that if you figure out why your cycles are irregular you may improve your chances of conceiving without professional help.
4. While it isn’t uncommon to have painful periods, if you think your periods are more painful than average, you may suffer a condition that can cause infertility called endometriosis. Endometriosis can not only affect egg quality but it can also affect whether your tubes are open. A fertility specialist can help in the diagnosis and possible treatment of this condition.
5. Heavy bleeding can also be a sign that there is something blocking your ability to get pregnant. Benign fibroids and uterine polyps are conditions that can be treated. A fertility specialist can do diagnostic tests to assess whether this could be your issue and a simple outpatient surgery may solve your bleeding problem and help you get pregnant.
6. It takes two to make a baby so if your male partner has a chronic medical problems or is overweight, it’s time to see a fertility specialist. A simple semen analysis may explain why you may have difficulty.
This is definitely a time where knowledge is power. There are many options available to you and many treatments available for any fertility problems that you may encounter.